I’ve been doing henna hair dye now for 16 years, and learned a lot along the way, helping thousands of people get their hair in tip-top shape. I love getting feedback from different people and know the myths, and tricks of the trade. I have mixed henna with hundreds of different ingredients. One thing I never learned about was techniques to keep the color in and keep it from fading. Most people’s hair is very absorbent, and a few are not.
As a matter of fact, some people are “dye-less”, meaning even chemical hair dye will not change the color of their hair. One day a customer, “Vanessa,” called in to just say thanks for a great product, and she wanted to share with me how she applied it. I was shocked to learn she had been using our hair color since 2014 and only did her roots once a month. Many things can make henna hair dye fade quicker, sun, swimming, and certain products, among other things.
Do Try This at Home
This will not work on chemical dyes, only EarthDye colors, and actually will condition your hair even more and help with hair loss. Do not use lemon juice, and use sulfate-free shampoo. Essential oils are not recommended but optional if using only natural pure red henna. Not to be confused with red-red henna. This is the most natural coloring you will ever use, and you can easily make it match your natural hair color and also works on dark colors. Following the instructions below will make your henna color last longer.
Simples Steps to Longer-Lasting Hair Dye
- Boil 2 cups of water and shut off before shampooing hair (so it will cool! Do not use boiling water! Warm is great!)
- Get your Mix Ready! Prepare and mix dry powders (she mixed mahogany with a small amount of burgundy)
- Wash hair 2x w/shampoo
- Rinse with 1 cup of apple cider vinegar and let sit for 3 min, then rinse with water. You are now ready to apply the henna hair dye.
- Mix hot water with powder (thicker is better) and only use the water you need)
- Use a hair dye application brush to apply and let sit for 1 hour, to 1.5 hours
- Rinse out the dye until clear.
- Do not wash your hair for 2 days after (do not wait longer). This helps the darker pigment set and my hair oils to further recoup.
This method will help the hair color penetrate the hair shaft and is easy to apply. You can apply the henna to damp wet hair or dry hair. Shampooing your hair before the apple vinegar helps the vinegar do its job and you will not smell it for a long time. This also works on treated hair (that has been treated with chemicals, perms, or straighteners).